Sunday, March 29, 2009

THE HIGHLIGHTS OF IMPORTANCE

The Highlights of Importance.

When I look back over my past and muse over my future I must admit - life and all its pursuit boils down to one or two really important things.
When the CEO of Carolina Pad, Clay Presley, missed his interview with INC. magazine not one thought that he would be among the ones standing along a plane wing waiting for the rescue boat. US Airways Flight 1549 had safely landed in the Hudson River on January 15, 2009. But when Presley did make the interview he firmly stated, “"in about three seconds, you realize what's important: family, and your spiritual relationship.”
I agree! Of all the things I have done in my past and all the things in my future – the time, energy, money and future plans aimed at, my relationship with God and my relationship with my family is most paramount. Setting the most important things as the most important things must be more than mental assent. There must be a sense of direction, a momentum moving us down the right path. A few right choices can set a dynamic change agency within us.

Here are a few tips on making the right things the right things:

1. Ask yourself the TIME question. What will captivate the majority of my prime time. Make a list of all the necessary items for today with the “most important things” figured in. Schedule your prime time events on your daily calendar, after following this day after day, it will become a habit.
2. Ask yourself the ENERGY question. What takes the majority of my energy. We aren’t talking about job, etc. – we are only talking about our “most important things,” of these, what should take the most of my effort as I work towards satisfaction?
3. Ask yourself the MONEY question. Will I begin to allocate funds to my priority areas? How much can I spend on each item? And, am I willing to adjust my standard of living to fit these new terms?
4. Ask yourself the FUTURE question. Since priorities rewrite the future it is important I ask myself some thought provoking questions. How will this change my future? What must I do beginning today if I want to change my future?

No comments: