Thursday, January 28, 2010

Changing a Flat Tire

A couple I know has a habit of running on bare tires, I even gave them some money to buy a new tire once. In fact, if a tire loses air - they will go air it up a dozen times before they ever decide to repair or patch the tire. I can't tell you the times they have had a flat tire, only to moan and complain about how terrible life is, air it back up and keep going till the next calamity.

Another couple I know does their marriage the same way. They run on bare threads. No time for each other, stressed out over life and events, and saying, "I'm sorry," but never reparing the relationship. Like airing a tire with a slow leak - sometimes they are up and sometimes they are down.

Without addressing the propblem and merely finding temporary solutions will result in a "blow out," that will endanger the couple and their children.

But "I can't afford a new tire", or "I don't have time", or "that's my husband's job," or, "It's her fault not mind," prevail in the marriage. Finally the blow up comes and all the excuses lose their impact.

Bob and Joan (ficticious names but a real couple) actually made these excuses, never having time or mnoney or "whatever" to fix or replace the "bare tire" in their marriage, and the "blow ups" are more frequent. Scary. Now she is talking divorce.

By the way, the first couple went out and bought a new tire and threw the old one away. I am happy they are safe.

No comments: